My favorite new Indie Unity3D game is the Kerbal Space Program — a simulator rocket launch game with an awesome little crew you have to design a rocket for, get to their destination planet, and return home safely to win.
I haven’t played it yet, although I intend to as soon as it’s released, but it seems that you assemble a multi-stage spaceship from a wide variety of components according to your intended mission.
From the rocket-crashing sequences at the end of the trailer above, it appears you have control over the launch sequence, and there is a solid chance of failure. (More fun! Simulation games on rails get old too fast, and have been the trend for a decade)
Some other highlights are that it has an LOD terrain system that makes for an awesome experience as you blast away and towards planets. There also seems to be a gravitational planetary system, a physics model behind the whole experience, with user generated content, rewards for successful missions, and a lot more on the way, according to what their website makes available.
Actually, I’m going to just jack the description of current and planned features from this page of their website:
- The Vehicle Assembly Building. allows players to build spacecraft out of any imaginable combination of parts.
- Fully-fledged, Physics-based Flight Simulation ensures everything will fly (and crash) as it should.
- Procedural Terrain delivers detailed terrain at a vast scale. The Kerbal Planet is 600km in radius!
- Mod-enabled, allows players to create new content and modify the game.
- Ship systems. Keep an eye out for engine temperatures and fuel levels, and try not to explode.
- Build ships with multiple stages, and jettison parts away as they burn out.
- Full control over the staging sequence allows for complex ships and advanced functionality.
- Take on Missions to attract interest in your Space Program. Or use the Mission Planner to create your own missions.
- Manage your Space Program. Hire astronauts, train them, research and improve parts.
- Fly out to Moons and other Planets
- Build Space Stations, and surface bases on other worlds.
- And a whole lot more!